Some common questions about meditation.
What are the benefits of meditation?
- Ability to relax mind and body
- Better concentration
- Detachment from small worries / anxieties
- Peace of mind.
- A better understanding of who you are and what you wish to achieve.
How long should you meditate for?
It depends on your level of experience. A beginner should try to meditate for 10-15 minutes. Over time you can lengthen this period. The important thing is to be focused on meditation. If you try to meditate too long – beyond your capacity, the mind will rebel. Meditate for as long as you can do so productively.
How do I stop thoughts that come and disturb our meditation?
This is the real test of meditation. It will not come overnight, but, with practice. There are different techniques you can try:
- Meditate on the spiritual heart
- Use of mantra or music
- Breathing exercises which focus the mind on a very simple but particular exercise.
- Feel yourself is separate to your thoughts. Feel that the real I can decide whether to pursue or reject thoughts.
What do I need to meditate?
- Very little. Basically, you just need yourself. However, your meditation will be helped if:
- You meditate in a quiet corner of your room, you keep just for meditation
- It is helpful to meditate after showering
- It is not recommended to meditate after eating a heavy meal.
- It is recommended to meditate with a straight back. Sitting in a chair is fine.
What is the best time to meditate?
The best time is whenever you will be undisturbed and you will be fully focused on your meditation. Meditating at the same time every day helps.
Early in the morning is a very good time because the atmosphere is quiet and conducive to meditation. It is said the best time for meditation is 3am in the morning. But if you think you might be a bit sleepy at that time, try 6am or 6.30am. Evening meditation is also very good.
What is your type of meditation?
The meditation we offer is based on the teachings of Sri Chinmoy. Sri Chinmoy was a Master of meditation who taught that an effective way to meditate was to concentrate on the spiritual heart. He did not found a religion, but offer a spiritual path, based on the traditional path of yoga. Our classes are aimed at beginners and in the early classes, we offer some simple exercises, such as breathing exercises, concentration exercises, visualisation and the use of mantra and music. Ultimately, all paths of meditation lead to the same goal which is to experience a consciousness of peace and joy.
What is the best way to get started with meditation?
The best thing to do is start now. Have a go. There are more tips for getting started with meditation here.
More: Tips for Meditation